Tuesday, May 06, 2008

More Than Bread Devotional for 5/6/08

Hebrews 13:1-3
1 Keep on loving each other as brothers. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. 3 Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

I had the most amazing thing happen on Monday. I had a chance to put these words into practice in a very real way. I got a call on the church phone from a guy who had been given a room at a local motel and some food for the night through the help of our local ministerial association. He called me with an unusual request. He wanted to know if we would wash his clothes for him. He was out of money and had no way to wash them himself. I went to the hotel and got the clothes from him and talked with him for a few minutes. I brought the clothes home and we washed them and then I took them back along with a few other clothing items I thought he might be able to use. He had mentioned the first time I talked to him that he was a believer, and when I went back to deliver his clothes; he told me more of his life story and testimony. We talked for a half hour or so about faith and trusting God. He spoke with great passion about what God had done for him in his life. Before I left, we prayed together and thanked God for the chance to meet this side of heaven. I want to ask you who read this to pray for Nick as well. Pray that God would keep him safe and direct him to the place He has planned for him to live and minister.

No comments: