Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More Than Bread Devotional 4/9/08

Luke 16:27-31
27 "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

Have you ever tried arguing with someone who just doesn't agree with you? I did this for years myself over a variety of topics. I was sure that I could convince people of the truth of if I just showed them enough evidence. It took me a long time to understand human nature. I am not saying that we shouldn't point out the truth. I am certainly quick to correct or at least try to if I feel that someone can benefit from the knowledge. But if that correction falls on deaf ears, then I am not going to keep on arguing anymore. So do what you can do. Speak the truth in love and let God do the rest. After all, if they won't listen to One who rose from the dead, what makes you think they will listen to you?

No comments: