Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Than Bread 2/27/08

Job 12:2-5
2 "Doubtless you are the people,
and wisdom will die with you!
3 But I have a mind as well as you;
I am not inferior to you.
Who does not know all these things?
4 "I have become a laughingstock to my friends,
though I called upon God and he answered—
a mere laughingstock, though righteous and blameless!
5 Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.

Here Job is replying to one of his "friends" who had basically told him that all of his trouble was self-caused. We of course know that Job had done nothing wrong. Job also knew he had done nothing to bring this on himself. What caught my eye was verse 5. It is easy for us to think less of a person in the midst of trouble when we think they have "brought it on themselves". But it would be much wiser to step back and try to relate. I took a crack at curling for the first time. I learned a valuable lesson in the process. It is easier to watch people on the ice than it is to try and manuver on the ice yourself. I fell a couple of times trying to learn how to balance. I may have even provided a chuckle or two to some of those watching. The lesson from Job is to not look down on the troubles of others, when we are in comfort and ease. We should be willing instead to come alongside and be a support and a help in their time of need.

No comments: