Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Than Bread 2/26/08

Romans 12:15
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

This verse really struck a chord with me. I did my first ever funeral as a pastor on Monday. It was for a lady who didn't have much family around and whose children no longer have anything to do with her. I never got to actually talk to her here on this earth, but I got to know a few things about her from some who did. What I noticed though, was that the compassion I felt for her and the family she has that I will never meet took me by surprise. I found myself on several occasions over the weekend, thinking about this woman and praying for her family and grieving the hurt that must be there. It wasn't something I take credit for personally. I believe it was the work of the Holy Spirit, living out this passage in me. While it is true that we can never totally understand and fully experience the joy or the hurt of another person. We are told here that we should share in it, both the joy and the pain.

No comments: